Door edge guards help in protecting your car from unexpected scratches, dents, chippings, dings and other recurring damages that you may experience on a day to day basis. You will notice this especially in parking lots where the cars are parked too close to each other resulting in your car door either touching the car or wall next to the door while opening it.
That is why you need to invest in custom door edge guards for a better protection for your car doors especially if you have a brand new Mercedes! Following are some tips you may need to adhere when installing door edge guards for your car.
6 Tips On How To Install Door Edge Guards On Your Car Door
Things You’ll Need
– Color coded door edge guards kit
– Felt pen
– Rubber mallet
– Cutting tool
– Car wax
– Touch-up paint
– A shop towel
1. Take the door edge guards one at a time and place it near the appropriate door or the seam sealant to test-fit it. Then using your felt pen, mark the top and bottom area of the guards onto the door for proper measurement and easy fitting.
2. Using a cutting tool, place it against the door edge and start trimming the seam sealant on the door from the top mark to the bottom, work in one direction and discard the seam sealant.
3. Once done, apply the touch-up paint on the cut seam area of the door to cover up the yellow color of the freshly cut seam sealant that is exposed and let it dry for 15 minutes before attaching the door edge guards.
4. After 15 minutes, take the door edge guard, align and position it accordingly to the top and bottom marks made by the felt pen onto the door. Then using a rubber mallet gently tap the door edge guard so that it fixes properly, working your way from the top mark or character line of the guard, right down to the bottom. The guard will naturally bend to take the shape of your car door as you continue tapping.
5. Once the door edge guard is sealed in position, do not remove, reinstall or try to reposition the guard as it will lose its grip around the door’s edge. To make sure the door edge guard is held firmly in that position, give it some hard taps for securing it.
6. Once you have finished installing the guard on one door, open and close the door to see if it is properly secured. Then repeat steps 1 to 6 for installing the remainder of the door edge guards on all the car doors.
Door edge guards are available in a variety of colors to match the color of your car. They come in stainless steel with a polished finish, transparent or in a matte black color. These door edge guards don’t stand out as they blend in well with the overall features of your automobile once installed. Moreover, these door edge guards are quick and easy to install. So what are you waiting for, go ahead and install them right at home!