Door kickplates are installed to help protect the bottom section of any door that is most often used by family members, like the front and back doors of the house. You will often spot dirt, dust, shoeprints and dog marks on the bottom half of your door and that is why you need to invest in a good quality door kickplates to protect it from the above damage.
Apart from providing protection to the door, these door kickplates also enhance the overall features of the door and the surrounding frame. With so many designs, shapes and styles of these door kickplates making the rounds in the market, it becomes difficult for one to choose kickplates that are apt for their home design. But if you have chosen the right door kickplates for your home, then here are some easy tips on how to install them.
Tips on how to install door kickplates at home
1. Purchase those door kickplates that come with predrilled holes, so that you can position them on the door and make markings with a pencil.
2. Then drill pilot holes, if the door where you will be installing the kickplate is steel, so that it can accept screws.
3. Reposition the kickplate and make sure that there is at least 1 inch gap on either sides of the kickplate. Then using a power drill, start drilling the kickplate onto the steel until it completely secured in place.
Once the door kickplates are installed, you now need to concentrate on polishing them for their longevity.
Tips on how to polish door kickplates
For brass kickplates
– Spray bottle filled with dishwashing liquid
– Tooth brush
1. Take the spray bottle filled with the dishwashing liquid and spray onto the brass kickplates.
2. Then wash and clean the brass kickplates using a sponge and rinse with cool water. After rinsing, clean the kickplate well using a dry cloth.
3. Now taking a toothbrush, dip it into a small amount of ammonia and brush it over nay tarnished areas on the brass kickplate. Then wipe clean the ammonia using a damp sponge and then dry the kickplate with a cloth.
4. Make a fine paste by mixing equal amounts of salt, flour and vinegar. Apply this paste onto the kickplate with the help of a dry cloth and let the paste dry well.
5. Then using another dry cloth, buff the vinegar, salt and flour paste until the kickplate shines.
For stainless steel kickplates
– Cloth or rag
– Rubber gloves
– Metal polish
– Microfiber cloth
1. First wear the rubber gloves and then wet a piece of cloth and clean the stainless steel kickplate of any debris or dust particles.
2. Take the metal polish and pour it over the steel kickplate. Then using your gloved fingers rub the polish into the metal covering all the four corners. Let this sit for 1 minute.
3. After that wipe the kickplate clean of any polish using a microfiber cloth. Then start buffing the steel plate until it starts shining.
With these easy to do tips in hand you can now install door kickplates for all the rooms in your home; and also maintain and sparkle them for many years with these simple polishing tips!