A door kick plate is used to protect the exterior portion of the door from scratches, dust and dirty shoe prints, which occur when someone kicks the door, open with their legs. The door kick plate comes in a variety of styles that range from plain finished metal to polished brass and also in a number of colors to match the color of your door. This door kick plate also adds an elegant and sophisticated look to the overall exterior of the door.
The door kick plate is usually installed at the bottom part of all exterior doors that are used by everybody, such as the main front and back doors of the house. The door kick plate comes in three options that you can choose from, such as screw-in, glue-on and magnetic mounts. Here are some tips on how to choose the best door kick plate for your house.
Tips On How To Choose Door Kick Plate For Your Home
1. Using a measuring tape, measure the width of the door on which you want to install a door kick plate. Once you’ve taken down measurement you will need to search or order a kick plate that is 2 inches smaller, so that when you finally install it on the exterior part of your door there will be 1 inch gap on either side. A standard door kick plate measures about 6 – 8 inches in height.
2. Choose a door kick plate according to the material of your door. For example, if you have a wooden door, then it ideal to purchase a screw-in or glue-on door kick plates. If you have a metal door then choose a magnetic kick plate mount. If the magnetic kick plates fall off especially in the case of stainless steel doors, then you can always opt for screw-in or a strong glue-on door kick plate.
3. When purchasing or ordering door kick plates, choose them based on the color of the door panel, hinges, door lock or according to the interiors of the house. The door kick plates should not look out of place after installing it.
Tips On How To Install
Screw-in door kick plates
1. Using an all-purpose cleaning solution, remove any dust or dirt particles from the door.
2. Measure and mark _ inch from the bottom and 1 inch from the right and left sides of the door panel using a pencil.
3. Place the screw-in kick plate on the door and make a mark of the holes onto the door. Then using a power drill, drill holes on all 4 marked points and screw the kick plate securely on the door.
Glue-on door kick plates
1. Clean the door of any debris and dirt using an all purpose cleaning solution. Then measure and mark _ inch from the bottom and 1 inch from the right and left sides of the door panel.
2. Place the door kick on a rag and using a construction adhesive, apply a generous amount of the glue onto the back portion of the plate. Once done, carefully position the glue-on kick plate into the measured area and tap it until it is secured. Wipe off any excess glue from the sides of the plate.
Magnetic door kick plates
1. Clean the door of any dirt or dust particles. Then measure and mark a _ inch from the bottom and 1 inch from the right and left sides of the door panel.
2. Position the magnetic door kick plate onto the stainless steel door and hold it there until it is stuck firmly in place.
These tips will help you in choosing and installing the best door kick plates from a range of different styles and colors to enhance the features of your door and at the same time protect it from scratches, dirty shoeprints, dust particles and the likes. So head over to a furniture showroom and purchase any one of the above kick plate mounts to make it appear elegant and classy!