Flooring protection is one of the basics tips and techniques a home owner must know in order to protect their hardwood, tile or laminate flooring from heavy furniture, chairs, pets etc. which cause scratch marks and unwanted indentations on the flooring. If you do not follow flooring protection on a regular basis, then chances are that you might end up paying a heavy price in repairing broken or worn-out tiles at home. By now you must have realized that good quality service in repairing worn-out floors does not come cheap.
So, if you are not planning on spending extra cash in repairing worn-out, broken tiles, then to start taking care of them through flooring protection methods. Following are some tips of flooring protection methods for your floors, such as laminate and hardwood floors.
Tips On Flooring Protection For Your Home
Flooring protection for laminate floors
– If you have a lot of light weight furniture in your living room, then it is better if you attach the bottom edges or the legs of wooden armchairs with felt protector pads, to prevent scratch marks whilst pulling it.
– For heavy furniture it is recommended you lift them up and transport them around the room to avoid scratching, even if you apply felt protector pads, it will be difficult to pull or drag the furniture from one corner to another.
– Placing rugs or carpets on the laminate flooring especially in a high traffic area will definitely save you from unwanted squeaks and scratch marks. Make sure these rugs come with non-slip pads attached underneath to prevent anyone from slipping.
– The humidity levels of your home should be somewhere 35 – 65 percent, as this will prevent your laminate flooring from expanding or contracting unnecessarily.
– If any liquid is spilt make sure to mop it immediately with a dry soft cloth, as it will prevent the liquid from seeping into any cracks or gaps in the flooring and this will also weaken the flooring overtime.
– If you need to use any cleaning product to clean the laminate flooring then use a window cleaner, as it does not contain any ammonia.
Flooring protection for hardwood floors
– Ensure you place large rugs or carpets on hardwood floors in areas where people are walking around more. But make sure these carpets or rugs come with non-slip protective layer underneath to prevent anyone from slipping.
– Don’t wear shoes, heels or golf shoes when walking around on hardwood floors, as they cause great damage to the flooring.
– If you have hardwood flooring in your kitchen, then make sure you place rubber mats near sink area, so that if water does fall on the ground it will not get seeped into the hardwood easily. But if water or any other liquid has been spilt on the hardwood then wipe it off immediately with the help of a soft cloth or a mop, don’t let any water seep in between any cracks or gaps in the flooring.
– Use a humidistat to measure the level of humidity within the house. Because if the humidity level is high, then chances are that the hardwood flooring will expand and contract and spoil the overall feature of the wooden floor.
– One more point in flooring protection method is to trim the nails of your pets, if living in the house to prevent any kind of scratch marks.
Flooring protection methods are simple, easy to do tips on how to take care of your floors on a daily basis, so that you don’t end up spending tons of money in repairing those floors branded furniture servicing providers.